Saturday, September 20, 2008

Miss North Texas, Brittany as a tutor









Every week for the past five months I have been blessed to be a mentor and a tutor for two of the sweetest girls at Metz Elementary School in Austin, Texas.

Walking in on my first day of tutoring to my surprise the teacher lead me to a Spanish-speaking classroom. I don’t know any Spanish I thought, my foreign language is American Sign Language. The teacher introduced me to a sweet fifth grade girl who looked up at me with beautiful brown eyes that said I am willing if you are. I was.
My job was to help teacher her how to speak English! She was a transition student learning how to speak the English Language. While everyone else in the classroom had Spanish speaking tutors she and I were the only two communicating in English. She would look right into my face to avoid distraction and try her very hardest to learn. We would read, work on vocabulary, spell and play brain stimulation games.
My second student, a precious vibrant first grader was ready to absorb anything we had to work on even though it was hard for her to concentrate and stay on task. Because she had this problem I took it upon myself to add something fun to our study time. As tutors we are not allowed to bribe or give the student any type of reward.
So every time we worked before hand I would create a spelling sheet that had her name in bright colors at the top, cute numbers down the side and a pink pen she could write her words with. At the end I would grade it in front of her while she anxiously awaited her score. As simple as this may seem it kept her on track because she thought this made spelling fun. We also worked on reading skills, grammar, and learning games.



From working with these two girls and being a mentor the point was for them to learn from me, but I have truly learned from them. I have learned never to take for granted the importance of a good education. Never to limit yourself or your dreams because if a 12-year-old girl has the determination to sit with a college tutor every week and learn a foreign language, knowledge is limitless. But most importantly I have learned that you are a role model even if you don’t know or ask for it.
My first grade student asked me to come to her birthday party a few months later, not to forget and come every year. She didn’t know that I was involved in pageants and I didn’t have a crown on my head. She admired me for me, a UT student in a sweatshirt who for an hour every week only cared about her. Those are the things that touched my heart and will always leave a lasting impression.
Love,
Brittany
Miss North Texas