Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"Feels Like Home" by Brooks Dennard, Miss Frisco 2008


(photo of Brooks, Miss Teen Plano 2003 she was 1st Runner Up to Miss Teen Texas, Chase Brown who was her sister titleholder as Teen Frisco)

I cannot begin to explain the sweet joy I felt when Shilah Phillips called my name out as the new Miss Frisco this past Sunday night! In my few years in pageantry, no group has been more of a rock, more uplifting, and more of a family to me as the board members of the MPFO. Way back when, at 14, I was fortunate enough to win the Miss Teen Plano crown and from the moment that golden crown (they were gold back then!) was placed on my head, I was welcomed with open arms into the kindest group of people I know. They have been there through thick and thin (literally!)--in search of that perfect teen evening gown, at El Fenix whenever we needed to talk, for interview prep, a swimsuit walk, pageant DVD's, and Christmas every year. Even when my dad lost his job, when my family was desperate, falling apart, Jan and her crew were there to give me a hug and a smile that meant so much to my 15 year old frame. Now, just days before my 20th birthday, I can't believe how lucky I am to be an official part of the family again! Jan and her board members truly care so much about all their girls--title holders and contestants alike--and I'm so excited to be back with the old crew--this truly feels like home!

Beyond the MPFO themselves, another reason this year is going to be so meaningful (and of course exciting!) is because of my new pageant sisters! Brittany, the new Miss North Texas, and I go way back--all the way to when we were both blondes if you can believe it! She has always been such a sincere friend, and I can't wait for all the laughs we're going to share this year. Both being Longhorns, carpooling will most certainly be a plus too! Adrianna, the new Miss Plano, and I also go way back. We competed together as teenagers at the Miss Teen Texas pageant and we were 6th and 7th place at Miss Texas in 2006! She is so beautiful, insightful, and FUNNY--I can't wait to get to know her even better. I couldn't have planned it better myself!

And last but not least, I cannot wait to hang with Lea and Taylor, the new MPFO teens! Lea, the new Frisco Teen and thus my new "little sister" is so great--smart, funny, and dynamic, I'm excited to bond with her this year. Interestingly enough, Lea goes to Ursuline, the arch-rival of my alma matter (Hockaday) but I'm sure that wont hold us back from being fast friends...even though Hockadaisies are better, right Lea ;) ?? Taylor, the new Plano Teen, also seems like such a genuine, poised young lady, and I can't wait to see her grow over the year.

A huge thank you to Heather, Cassidy, and Erin! Ya’ll put on a fantastic show, and all three of you are so inspiring. Good luck in all that you do!

Once again, I cannot express how good it feels to be home! It's going to be a wonderful year!

Sincerely,
Brooks
(Photo of Brittany and Brooks)