Monday, July 21, 2008

Teen Frisco, Lea Ciskowski named most improved tennis player at school

I have a background of athletics, which includes just about every sport imaginable. My mother wanted to support me in whatever I wanted to do; the problem was that I wanted to do everything! Since then, I have narrowed it down to one sport: tennis. Tennis first appealed to me because 1) I could get a tan while playing, 2) my brother played tennis, 3) tennis boys are cute, 4) I was actually pretty good at it, and 5) I did not get sick of it. I had always been mediocre at the other sports because I had never committed myself fully to them. It was cool to finally have a natural ability for something athletic.

I have been playing for about two years now and I play on my school’s varsity team. I am the #2 singles player and I even got to go to the district tournament this year. Unfortunately, I lost in the quarterfinals but I played well and lost a good match. My team had our tennis banquet last night and I was named the "Most Improved Player". My coach even nicknamed me "bulldog" because of my tenacity on the court. I owe this to Mental Management. This year, by working with Heather Sumlin and Lanny Bassham, I have grown so much and I have learned how to apply what I learned in the mental seminars for pageants towards my tennis game. I did not get angry or upset when I missed a shot, I simply moved on to the next point. My coaches even noticed and asked me how I had changed my attitude and stayed even calmer this year. This is solely due to Mental Management and my new mindset towards things. I went from being #5 singles to #2 singles and I truly thank them for it!